I have been coming across a few interesting numbers associated with illegal immigration lately. I’ve provided a list of a few here:
- Since Biden became president, nearly 5 million illegals have entered the U.S. That’s roughly the equivalent of the combined population of Chicago and Houston. 900,000 of these are “got-aways,” meaning they entered the country without being apprehended by border security.
- Of the illegals encountered by authorities, 267,000 have been children.
- Deaths caused by the use of the illegal drugs that have been pouring through our porous border (Fentanyl, heroin, and cocaine, especially) hit 100,306 in 2021, a 28.5 percent increase over the year before.
- We are on pace to see over 800 illegals die this fiscal year trying to enter the US. this includes migrants dying while packed in the back of overheated trucks and children drowning in the Rio Grande river.
- “It is estimated that between 15,000 to 50,000 women and children are forced into sexual slavery in the United States every year, and the total number varies wildly as it is very difficult to research. One study from the Department of Health and Human Services estimated the number between 240,000 and 325,000, while a report from the University of Pennsylvania put it at between 100,000 and 300,000.”
- [B]etween October 2021 and July 2022, more than 130,000 Venezuelans were encountered illegally entering the U.S. across the southern border.” According to a recent report, Venezuela has been “releasing violent prisoners early and pushing them to join caravans heading towards our southern border”
- Illegal immigration costs Texas taxpayers over $850 a year.
Most shocking of all, and most provoking of outrage from the media and the Democrats, 53 migrants were flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.
So over-the-top and vitriolic was the response to DeSantis’ action that one could get the impression that some Martha’s Vineyard DNC mega-donor looked out his mansion window, saw a Hispanic near his estate that wasn’t his gardener or his housekeeper, and got on the phone with a friend in the White House.
Many even were willing to embarrass themselves on camera by calling DeSantis a “human trafficker.”
It is also the event that prompted a Massachusetts state representative to tweet, “We are asking the Department of Justice to open an inquiry so that DeSantis and other people can be held accountable for this horrible behavior. Fraud, kidnapping, denying freedom, and people trafficking are all illegal, in addition to being morally wrong.”
It may be difficult to explain why sending 50 or so to Martha’s Vineyard has prompted so much more indignation than 50 or so dying in the back of a truck. This is especially confusing since the White House has been “trafficking” immigrants for some time.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has thankfully provided clarification:
“ . . . even in Florida some of the farmers and the growers saying, ‘Why are you shipping these immigrants up north? We need them to pick the crops down here.’”
So there it is. The primary reason white liberals want brown immigrants may still be to turn red states blue but there is another benefit, one that has been in existence but not often said out loud: cheap labor.
As the aforementioned numbers indicate, the consequences of an open border to Americans and to migrants; such as lower wages for African American low-skilled workers is relatively unimportant.